Sunday, January 18, 2009

MATE and BATHROOM ETIQUETTE

Yerba Mate (ma-tAy) is a very popular tea here, so my friend Jason and I bought the special mug for the mate, which comes with a bamboo straw to drink it out of. We had a "Mate-off" yesterday, to see whose mate mug was cooler and whose tea tasted better (as we bought two different kinds). Turns out, both of ours tasted pretty bad. The mugs came w/ scrolled directions, which we threw aside and thought we'd create good tea w/out them. Today, we added a few packets of sugar, and whaddaya know?? I love mate!! The market where we bought them is set up every Sunday in Recoleta. All the stands have hand-made crafts, and every 4 stands has mate mugs.

I just killed a cockroach in Jason's apartment, but apparently the only right way to kill them is to burn them. If you squash them, their eggs will go everywhere and wreak havoc on your home. Sorry Jason.

OBSERVATIONS: All the apartments here have bu-dais (sp?). I'm too afraid to try it out. Often, their toilet paper is pre-torn in the little squares. That makes things quite tedious in the bathroom! They deliver food FAST! We walked to a pizza shop, ordered it for delivery, and by the time we walked directly back to the apartment, the Motorbike Pizza Man was at the door!

WHAT I LEARNED YESTERDAY: Did you know that one-third of all American meals are consumed in the car? Me either, but I believe it.

I'm finding out more and more that of course, I enjoy my alone time, but I really enjoy the company of others and learning about everybody's lives in our class. If I'm alone for more than a couple hours, I get really bored and always want to know what everyone else is up to. Today I'm working on a lesson plan for Tuesday, and it's about 85 degrees here. They measure in Celsius, so I'm not sure what temperature that would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment