Monday, January 12, 2009

LESSON PLANNING

All day I worked on my first lesson plan. I understand why teaching is not as easy as everyone thinks. Everything has to be regimented - down to the last minute. It's very tedious, but I have one down and one more to go for this week. I just got home about an hour ago from class, so I'm exhausted. Also a little frustrated because our classroom was supposed to be in Recoleta, which is why Marisol and I picked this location for our apartment. Five days before class started, we got an email from the director saying due to construction, the classroom would be in a different location, which added 40 minutes travel time for us, and we're in a more expensive barrio. Should we raise hell? We were also promised Wifi, free coffee, printers, copiers -- but we're in a dump with none of those things accessible. Trying to organize a lesson plan w/out the right resources is VERY difficult.

Observations: Argentines are very approachable. However, it is custom that if an Argentine woman looks at a man for more than a second on the street, it means she is interested in him. So the guy will approach the woman and begin to make small talk if her eyes meet his gaze.

What I'm most excited about: A Starbucks in Buenos Aires DOES exist. It has specialty items like the Mate Latte and medialunas, and my favorite -- the CHI LATTE. I believe it's the 2nd Starbucks in Latin America?? So that will be my next adventure: finding coffee to go!

1 comment:

  1. Hi sweetie!
    This is such a great idea to have a place where we can hear about your day(s). It sounds like you are weathering just fine even with all of the inconveniences. Finding a Starbucks was a bonus!
    Have you gotten the letter I sent? Are you studying Spanish yet? (no longer Portuguese?)
    Can we talk soon?
    Loving you, Mae (it's frigid here, brrrrr...)

    ReplyDelete