Monday, January 19, 2009

MODES OF TRANSPORT

I walked to class for the first time today b/c I needed exercise. It took me an hour, and I was uncomfortable the whole time. I was hoping for a nice, scenic walk. Instead I was breathing in the polluted air, dodging Argentines on the crowded sidewalks, and I was told to put my iPod away by some locals. They said motorcyclists like to snatch keys, iPods or phones right out of your hand and keep driving. I think I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of Monserrat (the location of our class), but I'll try walking again sometime this week -- maybe 2nd time's a charm?

Today's class theme was theatre. We got to make up scenes with a group using random objects (a ball, a die and a maracca). I had a lot of fun with this - I love being the center of attention! The whole class also acted out the same scene with different emotions (hystical, sad, confused). Tonight is the first night I've worn long sleeves - it's a little chilly.

Jason and I took the bus home. The bus drivers are ERRATIC. They will run people and cars over, and if you don't hurry up to get off, they'll just keep driving when you have one foot out the door. Jason's claim was "I take the bus all the time". So I trusted he would know when our stop was. We got off and he said, "Oh, wait, I think we have like 12 more blocks to go." No more bus rides for me.

OBSERVATIONS: Apartment security here is very good. The outside entrances are always locked, sometimes they have a security guard, and the doors to the individual apartments have deadbolt and key lock.

No comments:

Post a Comment