Wednesday, January 28, 2009

BOOKS AND PUBLIC DISPLAY OF AFFECTION

PDA is strong here - I mean, hardcore making out right in the middle of the street. It's just accepted.

Buenos Aires is a literature-loving city. All over, free newspapers are handed out, people are reading novels as they walk, and there are bookstores everywhere. I still need to visit the Biblioteca Nacional right in downtown Recoleta. It was actually built on top of the Peron's old house. For three decades, architects argued about the structure and politics of the library. Not until 1994 did they actually complete the project. It's beautiful, but I've only seen it from the outside.

2 comments:

  1. Howdy,

    I've been in BA for a year now, and I'm sorry to disagree about the level of PDA here. It's very quick if it ever happens and very chaste, almost like a Walt Disney movie of the sixties kiss. In public you never see anything rude or hardcore...although I'd love to.

    People say that clubs are a different matter, but they aren't the parks or the streets. In fact PDA is way down since the beginning of 2008, when the world astrology was a bit different than now. Not even teens kiss for very long...they're always nervously looking around.

    Again sorry to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well bill...I just got back from there and after the first day I could already [respectfully, of course] re-disagree with you. On street corners, in cafe's (especially VOLTA,) and in parks, PDA is all I saw. By the time I had left I was used to it. My friend who's lived there for a couple years says its common because a lot of kids live with their families (even at university) and there is no other place to do it...besides the telos, but thats a different conversation. Actually, the fact the telos exist is further proof of a greater acceptance of sexuality and its public display in Buenos Aires. Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses...Ciao

    ReplyDelete